06 August 2012

Little Red Stuffie

Here is a cute felt stuffie of Little Red Riding Hood.

I got the pattern from The Long Thread.  Such a great blog.  Choc-full of great projects!

I did a couple small things different when sewing together my little red.



I printed out the pattern pieces from  here.  It is 2 pages to print out.

I cut out my pieces using red wool felt, face colored wool felt and a fabric scrap for the dress.



I use tissue paper to trace the face design and then pin the tissue paper to my felt circle and start to embroider the face features.  I used french knots for the eyes.  (3 times around needle)  Once you finish stitching just carefully rip away the tissue paper.


Next fold the hood in half lengthwise and cut out a half circle that is 1/4" smaller than your embroidered face.  I used a circle cut to 1 7/8 inches.


Pin the face to the underside of the red hood and sew around the circle opening. (Photo does not show the stitches.)

Your hood will stretch a wee bit once everything is sewn together so make sure your opening is overlapping the hair so as not to see any flesh color peeking through!


Next lay out the fabric dress.  Place the cape pieces so they are aligned to the top of the dress.  I then laid out a piece of ric-rac 1/4 inch down from top of dress and placed the hood approximately 1/4 inch down so the ric-rac was just peaking out.  Then sew across to secure pieces together.



Place and pin right sides together: dress front and red felt back.

Start at bottom and sew around using 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Remember to leave 1 1/5 inch opening for turning and stuffing.

I stuffed fairly tight and used a ladder stitch to close up the stuffie.


I like how she turned out but I think I will make her hair a wee bit longer next time.

I love getting my wool felt from here.

Thank you for looking!  This post is linked up with Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou.


No comments:

Post a Comment